Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Ciclosporin (0.05% w/v)
Store below 30°C
Cyclomune 0.5% Eye drops are used to treat severe keratoconjunctivitis sicca (inflammation of the cornea). It belongs to the group of medications called immunosuppressive agents.
It can increase tear production in a condition called dry eyes, where the tear produced is blocked due to inflammation associated with the cornea.
Composition of Cyclomune 0.5% Eye drops
The Cyclomune 0.5% Eye drops contain ciclosporin (0.005% w/v), benzalkonium chloride IP (0.02% w/v) used as a preservative, and an aqueous buffered vehicle.
What is Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca?
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca is the dryness of the conjunctiva (the membrane that lines the eyelids and covers the white part of the eye) and cornea (the transparent layer between the iris and pupil). It happens due to the insufficient production of tears.
In this condition, the tear glands do not produce enough tears to keep the conjunctiva and cornea lubricated. It is commonly found in postmenopausal women, but rarely dry eyes are also a symptom of rheumatoid arthritis.
Dry eyes can also occur due to an abnormality in the tear composition which results in rapid evaporation of the tears. Though the tear production is sufficient, the rate of evaporation is so high that the entire surface of the eye cannot be kept lubricated during certain activities or in certain environments.
Drying of the eyes could also be due to the eyes being partly open for long periods of time at night or from an inadequate rate of blinking.
- Pressure behind the eye
- Increasing sensitivity to the lights
How do Cyclomune 0.5% Eye drops work?
Cyclomune 0.5% Eye drops is an immunosuppressant that increases tear production. Ciclosporin is a calcineurin inhibitor that curbs the activation of T-lymphocytes and many cytokines that are involved in the regulation of T-cell activation. Decreased levels of T-cell activation, also reduce inflammation in the eye and increase tear production. Therefore it helps to keep the eyes stay lubricated and reduces discomfort.
- Blurred Vision
- High blood pressure
- Increased growth of hair
- Loss of appetite
How to Use
Use the eye drops for the dose and duration as directed by your health adviser.
Wash your hands before you apply the drops, in order to avoid infection. Do not touch the tip of the dropper or let it touch the eye surface.
Remove contact lenses before you put the drops in the eye. Lean your head back, look upwards, and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pocket. Hold the dropper directly above the pocket and put one drop in the eye. Look down, slowly close your eyes and place one finger at the corner of your eye. Apply pressure to the corner of the eye for 1-2 minutes. Because this will prevent the medicine to drain out.
Follow the same directions when applying the medicine to the other eyes. Do not rinse the dropper. If you are using any other medicine, apply them after an interval of at least 5 mins.
- Inform your health adviser if you are allergic to any immunosuppressants or ciclosporin, or if you have any other allergies
- After using this medication, you may experience blurriness in your vision, therefore it is recommended that you do not drive, use machinery, or perform any activity that requires a clear vision.
- Discuss the risks with your health adviser before using this medicine while pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not forget to use sunscreen while using as it can make your skin more sensitive to light and can cause skin cancer.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Cyclomune 0.5% Eye drops. Please speak to your health adviser beforehand.
- Do not use this medicine longer than the directed time period.
- Let your health adviser know if you have kidney problems.
- What happens if I miss a dose?
Ans. If you miss a dose then take it as soon as you remember. Skip the dose if the time for the next dose is near. Do not use extra medicine to cover for the missed doses.
- What happens if I overdose?
Ans. Seek medical attention or call the poison helpline if anyone has swallowed the medicine.
- What should I avoid while taking Cyclomune 0.5% 3ml Eye Drops?
Ans. Avoid wearing contact lenses, and grapefruit or grapefruit juice till the symptoms subside, and the required course period of the medicine ends.