Careprost Eye drops are prescribed to patients suffering from glaucoma and ocular hypertension helps to decrease the pressure in the eyes, which could damage the vision and cause acute blindness.
The medicine lowers the pressure in the eyes by helping the blood flow from the eyes to the blood.
Careprost Eye drops are also recommended for patients that want to grow thicker, longer, and darker eyelashes.
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a state in which the optic nerve is damaged. The main cause of glaucoma is increased pressure in the eye and is often hereditary in nature.
The increased pressure in the eye, also known as intraocular pressure can damage the optic nerve, which is responsible for sending images to the brain. If the damage aggravates, it could lead to permanent vision loss or total blindness in a few years.
In the initial stages, glaucoma has no symptoms or pain, therefore it is necessary to go for regular eye checkups so the doctor can diagnose and treat glaucoma before it causes vision loss or total blindness.
- Redness in the eyes
- Pain in the eye
- Upset stomach
- Blurry vision
- Seeing halos around lights
Types of glaucoma
There are several types of glaucoma, but the four most common types are:
- Open-angle Glaucoma- It is the most common type of glaucoma, accounting for almost 90% of glaucoma cases. It is also called primary or chronic glaucoma. It's called open-angle glaucoma because the angle between the cornea and the iris is open and wide, which results in the slow clogging of the drainage canals in the eyes.
- Angle-closure glaucoma- Angle-closure glaucoma is rarer than open-angle glaucoma. It's called angle-closure glaucoma because the angle between the iris and cornea is narrow and closed. It happens due to the blockage in the drainage canals. And that is responsible for the sudden rise in pressure inside the eyes.
What is Ocular Hypertension?
Ocular Hypertension is a state in which the pressure in the eyes, also called intraocular pressure, is higher than normal. The range of normal eye pressure is 10-21mm Hg, in the condition of ocular hypertension the pressure is above 21mm Hg.
The excess production or improper drainage of the fluid in the eyes is what is responsible for the high-pressure levels. These high-pressure levels if not reduced could cause optic nerve damage which results in permanent vision loss or total blindness.
How do Careprost Eye drops work?
Careprost Eye Drops is a prostaglandin analog, which works to reduce the pressure in the eyes by increasing the outflow of the fluid to the bloodstream, thereby lowering the pressure in the eyes. It also helps to promote the growth of longer, thicker and darker eyelashes.
- Blurry vision
- Burning sensation in the eye
- Dry eyes
- Dilation and redness of the conjunctival vessels
How to Use
Use the eye drops for the dose and duration as directed by your health expert.
Wash your hands before you apply the drops, in order to avoid contamination, do not touch the tip of the dropper or let it touch the eye surface.
Lean your head back, look upwards, and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pocket. Hold the dropper directly above the pocket and put one drop in the eye. Look down, slowly close your eyes and place one finger at the corner of your eye. Apply pressure to the corner of the eye for 1-2 minutes, so this will prevent the medicine to drain out.
Follow the same directions when applying the medication in the other eyes. Do not rinse the dropper. If you are using any other medications, apply them after an interval of at least 5 mins.
- Inform your health expert if you have any other allergies.
- This eye drop may give blurry vision so do not drive or operate machinery after using it.
- If you are pregnant so please discuss the risks factors with this medicine.
- Discuss with your doctor beforehand if you are taking this medicine.
- Do not use this drug longer than the recommended time period. Because this may give you side effects.
- What happens if I miss a dose?
Ans. If you miss a dose then take it as soon as you remember. Skip the dose if the time for the next dose is near. Do not use extra medicine to cover for the missed doses.
- What happens if I overdose?
Ans. Seek immediate medical attention or call the poison helpline if anyone has swallowed the medication.
- What happens if you stop taking Careprost eye drops?
Ans. If you stop taking careprost eye drops, the changes to your eyelashes may reverse and they could return to their original appearance after a few weeks or months. If there is any eyelid darkening while you are taking this medication, once you stop taking this medication, it will return to its original appearance too after a few weeks or months.