Metrogyl 400 Mg
Quantity : 90 pills
Metrogyl 400 MG
Metrogyl 400 MG is a medication containing metronidazole, an antibiotic used to treat various bacterial infections. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria, thereby treating the infection. This medication is commonly prescribed for infections in the reproductive system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, joints, and respiratory system.
It's effective against certain parasites as well. However, it's essential to use Metrogyl 400 MG only as prescribed by a healthcare professional and to complete the full course to ensure the infection is fully treated and to prevent antibiotic resistance.
Metrogyl 400 uses
- Parasitic infections (amoebiasis)
- Bacterial infections
- Sexually transmitted infections (giardiasis, urogenital trichomoniasis)
- Post-surgery infections
How does Metrogyl 400 mg(metronidazole) work?
Metrogyl 400 mg(metronidazole) contains metronidazole, which works by disrupting the DNA and cellular structure of bacteria and some parasites. It enters the microbial cells, causing damage to their genetic material, and inhibiting their ability to replicate and survive.
This action ultimately leads to the death of the bacteria or parasites, thereby treating the infection. Metrogyl 400 mg is effective against a range of bacterial and protozoal infections due to its mechanism of action.
How to Use Metrogyl 400 mg(metronidazole)?
Metrogyl 400 mg(metronidazole) is usually taken orally, with or after food, as directed by a healthcare professional. It's essential to swallow the tablets whole, without crushing or chewing them, with a full glass of water.
The dosage and duration of treatment depend on the type and severity of the infection. Completing the full course as prescribed is crucial, even if symptoms improve, to ensure the infection is fully treated and to prevent the development of antibiotic resistance.
Benefits of Metrogyl 400 mg(metronidazole):
- Versatile antibacterial medication to treat different infections.
- Helpful in the treatment of amoebiasis, urogenital trichomoniasis, and giardiasis.
- Causes mild side effects, which are well tolerable if taken under a medical instructor.
- Safe and effective if prescribed.
- Stops the pathogen growth of microorganisms.
- An entire course of treatment kills all bacteria and doesn’t become resistant.
Metrogyl 400 side effects
Metronidazole may cause mild side effects that gradually resolve once your body starts adjusting to it. These side effects may include:
- Unpleasant taste
- Stomach discomfort
- Abdominal cramps
- Eating disorder
If your side effects get worse or your condition doesn't improve, consult your doctor.
While using metronidazole 400 mg, consider the following precautions:
- Avoid Alcohol: Abstain from alcohol consumption during and for at least 48 hours after completing the course, as it can cause severe reactions like nausea, vomiting, headache, or flushing.
- Inform Healthcare Provider: Notify your doctor about any ongoing medications, medical conditions, allergies, or history of blood disorders before starting metronidazole.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Consult a doctor before using this medication if pregnant, planning pregnancy, or breastfeeding.
- Driving and Machinery: Metronidazole might cause dizziness or drowsiness; be cautious when operating machinery or driving.
- Avoiding Sexual Activity: During treatment for certain infections, it's advisable to abstain from sexual activity or use precautions as advised by the healthcare provider.
- Monitoring Side Effects: Watch for any allergic reactions, such as rash, itching, swelling, or trouble breathing. Contact a healthcare professional if these occur.
Metrogyl 400 mg, containing metronidazole, can interact with various medications, such as:
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol while taking Metrogyl 400 mg can lead to severe reactions like nausea, vomiting, headache, and flushing.
- Blood-Thinning Medications: There might be an increased risk of bleeding when Metrogyl 400 mg is taken with blood thinners like warfarin.
- Lithium: Metrogyl 400 mg can increase lithium levels in the blood, potentially causing lithium toxicity.
- Certain Anticoagulants: The effectiveness of certain anticoagulants may be altered when taken with Metrogyl 400 mg.
- Follow a regular schedule and prescription for an optimal result.
- Don’t take an overdose.
- Consult a gynecologist if you’re a lactating or pregnant woman.
- Avoid consuming alcohol during your treatment.
- Inform your doctor if you’ve epilepsy or fits.
- If you have dialysis, peripheral neuropathy, or kidney disease, consult your doctor before use.
- Take the advice of a physician if you suffer from Cockayne syndrome and blood disorders.
- Keep away from pets and children.
- An incomplete course of treatment may not kill all bacteria.
- Store it in a dark and cool place.
What if you forget to take it?
Take your missed dose as soon as possible and follow your regular schedule. Don’t consume a double dose to compensate for your missed one. Overdose may cause dizziness, diarrhea, weight loss, drowsiness, sleeplessness, nausea, and vomiting.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Metrogyl 400 dosage for adults?
The typical dosage of Metrogyl 400 for adults is usually 400 to 800 mg taken orally three times daily, depending on the infection being treated.
What is Metrogyl 400 used for?
Metrogyl 400 is used to treat various bacterial infections like infections in the reproductive system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, joints, and respiratory system. It's also effective against certain parasitic infections.
Can I use Metrogyl 400 for tooth pain?
Metrogyl 400 may be prescribed by a dentist to treat specific dental infections, but it's crucial to follow their guidance. Self-medicating for tooth pain without professional advice isn't recommended; consult a dentist for proper evaluation and treatment.
Can I use Metrogyl 400 and alcohol together?
Combining Metrogyl 400 with alcohol can lead to severe side effects like nausea, vomiting, headache, and flushing. It's advisable to avoid alcohol during treatment and for at least 48 hours after completing the course to prevent adverse reactions.
Is Metrogyl 400 antibiotic?
Yes, Metrogyl 400 contains metronidazole, which is an antibiotic used to treat various bacterial and parasitic infections in the body
Can I use Metrogyl 400 during pregnancy?
Pregnant individuals should consult a healthcare professional before using Metrogyl 400. The doctor can assess the risks and benefits to determine if it's safe to use this medication during pregnancy based on individual circumstances.
Can I use Metrogyl 400 for gum infections?
Metrogyl 400 can be prescribed by a dentist to treat specific gum infections, but it's crucial to follow their guidance and not self-medicate. Consulting a dentist is recommended for proper treatment
Is the Metrogyl 400 tablet a painkiller?
No, Metrogyl 400 is not a painkiller. It's an antibiotic used to treat various bacterial and parasitic infections, not specifically designed to relieve pain.
Metrogyl 400 mg (containing metronidazole) is an antibiotic used to treat a range of bacterial and parasitic infections. It's crucial to use it as prescribed by a healthcare professional and complete the full course to ensure effective treatment.
Avoiding alcohol while on this medication is important to prevent adverse reactions. Consulting a doctor before use, especially during pregnancy, and adhering to prescribed dosages are essential precautions.
Your review is submitted successfully. It will be live after approval, and it takes up to 24 hrs.